Standards-Based Report Cards Grade K–5 A Guide for Parents
Jericho Public Schools currently uses standards-based report cards for K-5 students. Our district’s elementary report card committee, consisting of teachers representing all grade levels and administrators, have worked consistently to produce and revise a document that will accurately reflect your child’s progress.
This report card has been directly aligned with existing state standards in ELA and mathematics, as well as revised social studies standards. As a result, the report card will accurately reflect what is being taught and assessed in the classroom.
As you look at each report card, you will note that the report is grade specific, in line with common core grade requirements. World language, art, music, and PE will be reported on the same report card form. Most importantly, each grade level report contains a third page which will further explain the specific standards for that grade level. Finally, the report card will be available online via the parent portal.
More About Standards
Helping students master the standards at each grade level builds the foundation for future learning. The example below reflects one standard, from one content area and how it sequentially develops through the years.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Kindergarten: Work with numbers 11–19 to gain foundations for place value.
- Grade 1: Understands place value.
- Grade 2: Uses place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
- Grade 3: Uses place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
- Grade 4: Generalizes place value understanding for multi-digit whole numbers.
- Grade 5: Performs operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
- 4: Consistently demonstrates knowledge; understands, applies, and extends concepts and skills that have been taught
- 3: Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of concepts and skills that have been taught
- 2: Beginning to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of concepts and skills that have been taught
- 1: Demonstrates minimal understanding of concepts and skills that have been taught
- 9: Not taught yet
Personal Development Descriptors
- C: Consistently demonstrates
- I: Inconsistently demonstrates
- N: Not Apparent Yet