The mission of the Jericho School District, success for every student, requires that the district create an educational system that has as its focus the best interests of each individual student. The district is committed to providing an array of programs, opportunities and services that will support all students as they endeavor to meet the challenges of excelling in a rigorous academic curriculum, communicating in an environment of respectful social interaction and developing their interests and talents. To this end, the Jericho Board of Education has adopted the following goals:
- To create a place of learning that will explore and provide for every aspect of students’ capacities for learning by developing a broad, challenging and engaging curriculum.
- To provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for the twenty-first century.
- Educate the “whole child” through SEL initiatives. Build emotional balance and resilience in students.
- Foster and encourage communication, understanding and participation of the entire school community to enhance educational partnerships.
As a district, we have expanded research and application of best practices to enhance instruction and curriculum; provided opportunities for professional development for staff; and incorporated elements of best practice into curriculum development. By offering a wide array of learning opportunities, programs and courses, we have ensured opportunities for students to engage in critical thinking and problem solving, effective communication, collaboration and creativity as part of their school experience and provided for effective use of technology and real-world application of knowledge and skills. At the same time, the district has expanded SEL initiatives to build social/emotional resilience in students by conducting school climate surveys; developing school-based programs; and incorporating social and emotional development into the educational curriculum. Finally, we have endeavored to foster communication with and participation of all constituents of the school and larger community. Our district is fortunate in having talented and dedicated professional staff that is committed to the success of our students and who value opportunities to analyze data and reflect upon professional practice in order to continually improve program.
For a general review of Jericho curricula offerings, instructional practices, and assessment information, please see the subject areas below.
- New York State Learning Standards and New Teacher Resources
- English Language Arts
- Fine and Performing Arts
- Health, Physical Education, and Athletics
- Report Cards
- Science and Technology Education
- Social Studies, Business, and Libraries
- World Languages/Home and Careers
Dr. Ivy Sherman
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
(516) 203-3600 ext 3256